Almond Milk

Almond milk is so popular and readily available these days that I haven't really been taking the time to make my own for smoothies anymore. I have been buying it in the grocery store for my smoothies- but I use is up so quickly that I decided to try making my own hemp/chia milk instead. I simply blend a few tablespoons of hemp seeds and a tablespoon of chia with water to make the 'milk' for my smoothies and I have been really enjoying it (thanks Chantalle!). 


Today I decided to make myself a big batch of almond milk. It lasts in the fridge for a few days and I love the ways it tastes. It's a simple recipe- and there are a million variations of the milk that you can make. I won't put this in my smoothies- I love to drink it cold and as is. 

Almond Milk
(makes about 7 cups)
-2 cups of raw organic almonds
-8 cups of water
-vanilla bean powder
-agave


Soak the almonds in a bowl full of water over night. 
The next morning, place the almonds in a high-power blender with 8 cups of water. Blend well. Strain the milk in a milk bag or cheese cloth. Really ring the bag to get out every last drop. You can put the dry pulp in a dehydrator or on the lowest temperature in the oven to dry out and to use as almond flour. I put the milk back into the blender and blend it will about a teaspoon of vanilla bean powder and maybe a tablespoon of agave. Dates also work well as a sweetener. Enjoy cold! 

Comments

Popular Posts