Wild Rice & Kale Stuffed Acorn Squash

Well, it's been over a year since my last post. I'm almost a month into my new school year and I'm proud of myself for making a solid effort to make healthy, real food in a busy busy time. Who am I kidding? Life is always busy! I find it helps for me to make a plan on Sunday, and prepare a few dishes to tide me over for at least the beginning of the week. 

This delicious dish is inspired by the change in season and is definitely a very 'autumn' dish. It is perfect to make anytime but would also be great to serve as a vegetarian option at thanksgiving dinner. If you'd like to make this dish vegan, simply don't add the cheese.


Wild Rice & Kale Stuffed Squash
2 acorn squash 
1 cup of wild rice (cooked according to directions)
1 bag of ready to eat chestnuts
1/2 bunch of kale 
1 onion, diced 
1 tbps chopped fresh thyme 
1/4 cup dried cherries 
old cheddar or parmesan cheese

Directions: 
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Cut squash in half and scoop out seeds. Rub the flesh with about a tablespoon of olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Place face down on a baking sheet and bake for about 15 minutes. When browned, turn over and cook for another 15 minutes or until tender. 
2. Sauté onion in olive oil until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add fresh thyme and cook until lightly browned and tender. 

3. Wash and cut the kale into strips. Add to the onions and cook until tender. 
  4. Cut chestnuts into smaller pieces and add to the onion mixture with the rice and cherries. Season with salt and pepper. Add 1/4-1/2 cup of shredded cheese. 

5. Stuff the squash with the rice mixture and top with more shredded cheese. Bake in a 350 degree oven until the cheese is melted and the rice is warmed through. Enjoy! 



I hope you enjoy this as much as I did! 
xo Sarah

Comments

Popular Posts