A healthy start to a New Year

One thing is for sure- I certainly have not been posting enough. I like to blog because it keeps me inspired. It helps me to try new things. My goal for the year is 2 posts a month (I had originally thought of more- but I'm trying to be realistic!). 

In October I made a commitment to a pretty serious personal training package. I have been working with my inspiring and fun friend turned personal trainer about 4 times a week. I have always been an on-again/off-again type of person with fitness. My goal is to be someone that incorporates physical activity in my life long-term. I'm certain I can achieve this goal with Jessie's help. 

I know that what I put into my body really makes a difference in terms of how I feel. This year I hope to be more of a balanced eater. I hope to incorporate more regularly what I know makes a huge difference (superfood smoothies, raw salads). 

I wish all of my friends and family (and anyone else who may be reading this) so much health and happiness and peace in the New Year. Here is a recipe that I adapted from an amazing blog called "Green Kitchen Stories". It can help you to start you year off right and is very comforting and clean. 

Winter Stew
-1 T coconut oil
-1 sweet white onion, chopped
-1/2 tsp cinnamon
-1 T ginger
-1 tsp minced garlic
-1/2 tsp chilli powder
-2-3 carrots, peeled and cut into rounds
-1 small sweet potato, peeled and cut into chunks
-1 head of broccoli, cut into smaller florets 
-1 zucchini, sliced
-1/2 cup/3/4 cup of red lentils
-1 small can organic kidney beans
-1 large can whole plum tomatoes
-1 small can half fat coconut milk 
-1/2 cup of water

1) Sauté onion, cinnamon, ginger, garlic and chilli powder in coconut oil over medium heat until soft and fragrant in a deep pot. 
2) Add carrots and sweet potato and sauté for another 5 minutes. 
3) Add broccoli, can of tomatoes, water and red lentils to the pot. Bring to a boil and simmer for 20 minutes on medium-low heat. 
4) Add zucchini and coconut milk and simmer for another 20 minutes or until everything is cooked. Add the beans in the last 5 minutes of cooking. 
5) Serve over brown rice, millet, quinoa or just eat as is. Season with salt and pepper. Enjoy :) 

So much love in 2013! 

Comments

Popular Posts