Potato Pizza

I remember having my first potato pizza. Hilary and I were on the west coast of Australia and we had looked up a place that claimed to have the best pizza in all of Perth. I had never seen potato pizza before and I was pleasantly surprised when I tried it! It's a simple pizza that is best served as an appetizer and not as an entire meal. 

My dear friend Abby and I have been making pizzas together for a while now. I have to say that home made pizza is one of my favourite meals ever. (I also have to say that I will never look at pizza in the same way after my trip to Italy). I have been playing around with this particular pizza for a while now- it's been difficult to get the potatoes just right. 

Abby and I always buy the pre-made fresh pizza dough from the grocery store. I leave it out in some flour so it comes to room temperature before with it. I'm not going to lie- I broke into a little bit of a sweat working with that dough yesterday- but it was well worth it. This recipe uses about one third or a bit more of a ball of dough. The key with the dough is rolling it very very thin. This is something else that I struggled with. I remember making pizza one time and it coming out about 3 inches thick- not so delicious!

Potato Pizza

-8-12 baby potatoes (size dependant)
-thyme 
-salt and pepper (freshly ground) 
-mascarpone cheese 

1) Roll out your dough and place it on a round pizza tray. Brush it lightly with olive oil. Preheat your oven to 375 degrees. 
2) Place whole potatoes into boiling salted water and boil for about 7-8 minutes until tender but still firm in the centre. Drain and run the potatoes under cold water. 
3) Heat olive oil in a pan over medium-high heat. Slice potatoes very thinly and place in pan. Season with salt, pepper and thyme and sauté until starting to brown. Take the potatoes off of heat and allow to cool a bit until you can handle them. 
4) Place potatoes all over the pizza, overlapping and covering it entirely. Place spoonfuls of mascarpone on top (I might even do more next time!). 
5) Place in the oven and bake until the crust becomes golden brown. Allow to cool a bit before eating. Enjoy (and follow by the bbq pizzas to be posted in another one of my blogs soon). 

Variations- this pizza would also be delicious with caramelised sweet white onion and parmesan shavings- I personally like it simple though. You could also substitute the mascarpone for crème fraiche! 
xo Sarah

Comments

Popular Posts