My classic Lentil Soup

This recipe is based on one that comes from Fresh restaurant in Toronto. If you haven't been there- you are missing out. It is glorious. Especially their new quinoa onion rings. Toss a bit of quinoa on deep friend onions and it's good for you- right?


Lentils are a source of fiber, protein and are very low in fat. Today I made my soup a bit differently. Usually I do not add zucchini and I only sometimes add tomatoes. That's what I love about soup- it's yours to change every time. 

Thai-Style Red Lentil Soup
1 large sweet onion, diced
3 large carrots, peeled and chopped
1 tsp chopped garlic
1 tablespoon chopped ginger
1 tablespoon curry powder 
1 tsp turmeric powder 
2 cups red lentils
1 carton vegetable broth
1 can coconut milk
1 zucchini, chopped
2 tomatoes, seeded and chopped

1. Sauté the onions, ginger and garlic in a couple of tablespoons of oil until the onions are translucent. Add the carrots and sauté for about 5 more minutes.
2. Add the lentils, the zucchini and the broth and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer until the lentils are tender (at least 20 minutes). Add more broth if necessary. 
3. Add the can of coconut milk, the tomatoes and simmer until all heated through. Season with salt and pepper and garnish with freshly chopped cilantro.

This soup keeps well in the fridge and is great for lunch. I hope you enjoy this soup as much as I do! 

xo Gat

Comments

  1. Thanks Sarah! I am going to make this for our family next Meatless Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Sarah! I've had this recipe on my Pinterest for months and am finally getting around to making it! I just realized now that my cousin-in-law posted this recipe! :) xx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts