Comfort Soup

I made this soup after my colleague brought minestrone soup to school one day for treat day. Soups are one of the only areas I really feel confident making things up. I've realized that my theory when it comes to making a lot of food is 'put in what I like'. It seems to be a good place to start! The recipe for this soup is a bit loose- feel free to add or omit wherever you feel fit! 
Mmmminestrone
2 sweet onions, peeled and diced
3 large carrots, peeled and cut into large coins
1 medium sweet potato, peeled and cubed
large handful of green beans, washed and chopped (1 inch)
1/2 a red pepper, seeded and diced
1 zucchini, cut into half circles
1 cup frozen organic corn
1 can white beans, rinsed
1 carton of vegetable broth + 1 cup
1 large can whole plum tomatoes with juices
1 tsp rosemary
1/2 tsp dried basil
lots of freshly ground pepper and sea salt
1 tsp chopped garlic
1 cup corn macaroni 


1) Sauté the onions, carrots, garlic, rosemary and basil for about 10 minutes over medium heat. Add sweet potato and sauté for a few minutes longer. 
2) Add the red pepper, green beans, broth and tomatoes. I like to break the tomatoes up a bit with my wooden spoon. Bring to a boil over high heat and then turn down to simmer for about 20 minutes until the sweet potato is tender firm. 
3) Add the zucchini, corn, beans and corn macaroni and simmer until the noodles are cooked (around 10 minutes). 
4) Enjoy steaming hot with lots of freshly ground pepper, some sea salt and a few shavings of parmesan cheese. 


(I have to admit- I totally did not keep track of my cooking times- use your best judgement! I hope you enjoy this soup as much as I do.) 

Comments

Popular Posts