Butternut Squash & Orzo

I've been trying to keep up with cooking with my new full-time job as a teacher. I had some theory that I would do all of this cooking/baking on Sundays and Wednesdays for the week. Every now and again I've actually kept it up. I've also been trying to give myself a break by buying things that are already made like granola bars and some crackers.


A couple of weeks ago I made up this delicious butternut squash and orzo pasta salad that I really really enjoyed. For you gluten-free folks it would also be delicious with quinoa or brown rice. I apologize for the quality of the photo!
Butternut Squash Orzo
-1 1/2 cups orzo pasta
-1 medium butter nut squash
-1/2 cup crumble feta
-handful of dried cranberries
-1/4 cup toasted pine nuts or slivered almonds (or both)
-1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
-1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
-salt and freshly ground pepper
-4-6 Tablespoons olive oil
-1 1/2 tsp dijon mustard 
-2 Tablespoons apple cider vinegar


-Preheat your oven to 425
-Cook the orzo in boiling salted water until tender (8-10 minutes). Drain and rinse under cold water.
-To roast the squash: peel and cub into small-ish cubes. On a baking tray toss with olive oil to coat, salt and pepper and the nutmeg and cinnamon. Bake at 425 for about 15 minutes and then lower the heat to 375. Bake until tender, stirring occasionally. 
-Toss the cooked squash and all of the roasting oils with the orzo pasta in a large bowl. Allow to cool slightly. Add cranberries, crumbled feta and toasted nuts. 
-Whisk olive oil, dijon mustard, S&P and apple cider vinegar in a bowl (adjust quantities as necessary). Pour over salad and toss. 
-This salad is delicious warm and cold. Eat it every day until it's gone. 


Bon Appétit!


PS- I did not measure ingredients at all when I made this so this is a rough estimate. Play around and add more or less of any ingredient. This dish would also be delish with some caramelized onions or even better- pan-fried sage! 
  

Comments

Popular Posts